Des Moines, IA (September 2012) – The Iowa Army National Guard and Neumann Brothers recently celebrated Silver LEED Certification status for the Armed Forces Reserve Center Project in Middletown, Iowa.
Marshall Linn, Neumann Brothers President and CEO said. “Our team has a proven track record in achieving the goals outlined by the Guard and we exceeded their expectations again on this project.”
Michael Brothers, a spokesperson for the Iowa Army National Guard said, “On behalf of the Iowa ARNG project team, a grateful thanks to everyone on your hard work not only on LEED, but on a truly wonderful and iconic building.”
The project included the design and construction of a two-building complex on a 25-acre site to support staff and equipment for the Iowa Army National Guard (IANG) and United States Army Reserve (USAR). The 47,000 square foot Armed Forces Reserve Center located on the east side of the property consists of an assembly/drill hall, offices, classrooms, a full-service kitchen, and unit equipment storage. Across the main entrance road to the west is the 34,500 square foot Field Maintenance Shop #15. This structure has seven work bays to maintain and service heavy military vehicles. Support spaces include a wash bay, offices, classrooms, tool and parts rooms, and equipment storage.
As sustainable design is a priority of the Iowa National Guard, the facilities are designed to meet the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) “Silver” standard. “Buildings designed to the rigors of LEED certification are not only good for the occupants, but benefit the entire community by considering the lasting impact a building has on our environment and natural resources,” said Chris Missel, project architect.
The USGBC created LEED with a checklist of environmental categories that look not only at the building’s effect on its inhabitants, but also how it impacts the community. Having supported Grinnell College through the State of Iowa’s first LEED gold certification to meeting the required points for the step-by-step application process to achieve LEED Platinum of the World Food Prize, Neumann Brothers is well versed in the intricacies of LEED.
Neumann Brothers has five LEED Accredited Professional staff members and the following projects certified or currently pending certification over the last five years:
- Grinnell College CERA Complex – GOLD Certification
- Grinnell College East Campus Residence Halls – CERTIFIED
- Grinnell College Joe Rosenfield ’25 Center – CERTIFIED
- Armed Forces Readiness Center @ Camp Dodge* – Silver Certification
- Ankeny First United Methodist Church Christian Life Center* – CERTIFIED
- Grinnell College Athletic & Fitness Center Phase II – Silver Certification
- AFRC Reserve Center @ Middletown*– Silver Certification
- AFRC Field Maintenance Shop @ Middletown*– Silver Certification
- Iowa Air Guard, Bldg. 180 – Silver Certification
- World Food Prize – Registered, seeking Platinum Certification
- Des Moines Airport Car Rental Facility– Registered, seeking Silver Certification
- Grinnell Preschool Psych Lab – Registered, seeking Gold Certification
*Neumann Brothers performed LEED Project Administrator duties for design-build projects
Neumann Brothers, Inc. is a general contractor in Des Moines, Iowa specializing in pre-construction and construction services including new construction, historical renovation, tenant improvements, industrial and millwright services and design-build project delivery. At various points throughout this year, Neumann Brothers is celebrating their 100th anniversary.