Pre-Construction: Essential First Steps
The success of a project is determined well before the first hole is dug or the first footing poured. Neumann's pre-construction services get projects off to the right start.
When Owners directly contract the project design from an architect or engineer, Neumann can assist during pre-construction and construction by providing:
- Scope of design style, materials and methods
- Cost analysis
- Constructability reviews
- Budget estimates
Neumann often joins the project team early on, providing budget parameters for a constructible project based on the conceptual design.
Neumann accurately forecasts the future cost of a construction project by reviewing the architect's contract documents or the work requested for a site. We use the latest estimating technology and tools, and unique software programs such as:
- On Screen Take-Off
- Timberline Estimating
- Suretrak Scheduling
Neumann works with the design team and Owner early on to study the design intent, proposed use, and function of the project. Based on this analysis, we determine how each factor will affect the overall budget. We then suggest conceptual construction ideas and methods that can improve the project's functionality and cost savings without compromising design.
Before a project even begins, Neumann Brothers assists in the analysis and estimate of a design. By using the latest estimating technology, we can accurately forecast the cost of a project and suggest construction methods that can improve a project's functionality. With value engineering, our team works to eliminate and reduce unnecessary costs by suggesting similar, yet more cost-effective materials and services. To realize these objectives, we collaborate with all team members to meet design goals and preserve project intent.
Using the project's conceptual design as a starting point, Neumann creates a time line that details a line-item breakout of the project's tasks and costs. This step:
- Allows the Owner and architect to view a complete construction and design schedule.
- Sets a firm deadline for scheduling all phases of the project - from design to methods to materials.
- Provides a cost-based plan for tracking the project's monthly and projected costs.
From the earliest stages of project development, Neumann Brothers can help identify sustainable elements that make the most sense for our clients' buildings. Neumann has built and led owners through all levels of the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification process and we are also recognized for incorporating sustainable, measurable standards and practices in green building design, construction, operations, and maintenance solutions into projects.
Neumann Brothers has 4 LEED Accredited Professional staff members and the following projects certified or currently pending over the last 5 years:
- Grinnell College, CERA Complex - GOLD Certification
- Grinnell College, East Campus Residence Halls - Certified
- Grinnell College Joe Rosenfield '25 Center - Certified
- Iowa Army National Guard - Camp Dodge Armed Forces Readiness Center* - Silver Certification
- Ankeny First United Methodist Church Christian Life Center* - Certified
- Grinnell College Charles Benson Bear '39 Recreation and Athletic Center - Silver Certification
- Iowa Army National Guard - Middletown Armed Forces Readiness Center* - Silver Certification
- Iowa Army National Guard - Middletown Armed Forces Field Maintenance Shop* - Silver Certification
- Iowa Air National Guard, Building 180 - Silver Certification
- Dr. Norman E. Borlaug Hall of Laureates (World Food Prize) - Platinum Certification
- Des Moines Airport Car Rental Facility - Silver Certification
- Grinnell College, Pre-school Psychology Laboratory - Gold Certification
*NBI performed LEED Project Administrator duties for design-build projects
Neumann's work with Grinnell College resulted in Iowa's first Gold-rated LEED-certified building, as recognized by the U.S. Green Building Council.